1. K-State home
  2. »Research and Extension
  3. »Riley
  4. »Crops and Livestock
  5. »Pesticide Applicator Licensing

Riley County

Pesticide Applicator Licensing

 Self-propelled sprayer

Self-propelled sprayer

Commercial Pesticide Applicator Guidelines

To legally apply any pesticide (even lawn fertilizers with herbicides) for compensation, you must have a Kansas Pesticide Business License and at least one employee with a Kansas Commercial Pesticide Applicator Certification in the appropriate category. Information about Commercial Applicator Licensing is available at the Kansas Department of Agriculture web site.

Kansas Department of Agriculture Pesticide & Fertilizer Program 

Commercial Pesticide Applicator Training Manual Order Form



Private Pesticide Applicator Guidelines

Below you will find instructions/guidelines on how to become certified as a Private Pesticide Applicator, how to renew your certification, or renewing your certification through a CD-Rom program. Please select the one that pertains to your needs.

Private Pesticide Applicator Certification (pdf)

Private Pesticide Applicator Renewal (pdf)


The test to become certified as a Private Pesticide Applicator is open book and can be taken at any Kansas County Extension Office.  The test normally takes two to three hours to complete.  We recommend reading the manual before taking the test.

Private Pesticide Applicator Manual (pdf)


Restricted Use Pesticides

A private pesticide applicator license is required for purchasing restricted use pesticides.  Click here for a list of restricted use pesticides in Kansas.