How does Walk Kansas Work?
- Co-workers, family members, friends and neighbors form teams of 6 people who will track minutes of physical activity and food choices during the 8-week challenge.
- Each team identifies a goal, or challenge, it wants to reach. Three challenges are offered. Challenge 1 is the distance across the state (423 miles), and would require each member to reach the minimum guidelines for physical activity, 2 1/2 hours per week. To reach Challenge 2, the team must go diagonal (763 miles), or 4 hours per week for each participant. Challenge 3 takes the team around the perimeter of the state (1200 miles), requiring each person to get 6 hours per week.
- Walking isn't the only activity that counts - biking, swimming, running, weight-lifting, yoga, cross-training, or any moderate to vigorous activity you do for at least 10 consecutive minutes.
- Participants record daily fruit and vegetable consumption.
- Team members report progress to their team captain each week. Team captain reports totals to local program each week.
Additional information can be found at http://www.walkkansas.org/